Day Wear & Accessories
I'm always excited about discovering fantastic new South African brands, and when I came across Mishah Designs, I knew I was onto a good thing. This Cape Town-based fashion brand has been creating trendy and exclusive womenswear since 2008. Zahra Effendi is a talented designer and stylist who works for the label. Her design principle is based on an instant response to the fashion market.
What I love about Mishah Designs is that all the pieces are so practical and wearable. There are pretty printed dresses that entice with it's feminine flair, and modern pieces that render a youthful charm. The typical Mishah-dressed woman is stylish and confident, without any airs.
The beautiful range also extends to accessories; bags, scarves and belts, all made with the same fine quality and assiduity. These are some garments from their Spring 2011 Collection.
1. Casual Capri shorts, including belt. R465. Colours: Stone and Navy.
2. Racer-back striped dress. R599. Colours: Taupe & black and cream & black.
3. Pleated flare skirt, including belt. R580. Colours: Stone and Navy.
4. Stripe tunic, with belt. R550. Colours: Black & rust and charcoal & black.
5. Gypsy dress. R550. Colours: Ruby and Black.
1. Chiffon floral maxi dress. R750. Colours: Pastel pink & blue and burnt orange & navy.
2. Lilly Dress. R480. Colours: Black & cerise, as well as chocolate & cerise.
3. Chiffon floral tunic with plaited belt. R550. Colour: Maroon floral.
4. Molly dress. R450. Colours: Stone floral and charcoal floral.
5. Chiffon printed tunic. R550. Colour: Olive floral
1. The briefcase sling
2. Leather pocket bag
3. Leather flipped bag
4. Country tassel bag
5. Crinkle leather bag
6. Fringed leather bag
Leather handbags are priced from R950. Leather and synthetic belts are priced at R199.
A Word From The Designer
Zahra says that her love of sewing and design began at a very young age. What inspires her the most as a designer is people.
She says "I can get lost for hours watching people pass by, the way they are dressed, the way they carry the things they wear. There is nothing more inspiring to me than street fashion, the combination of colour and texture, the endless array of people's choices of clothing and accessores in their everyday life as they go about their days. Whether it be for work or fun or a quick run to the local cafe or market.
With a few of her fab outfits already featured in Elle and Fairlady magazine, Zahra has a bright and long future ahead in fashion.
Garments from Mishah Designs are available from selected boutiques at the V&A Waterfront, Canal Walk and Gardens Centre. The range is also sold at Cquinz at 182c Main Road Sea Point, Cape Town. For more information, you can contact Mishah Designs on (021) 434 7505. Alternately, visit their website or blog, which is updated by Zahra.
I'm looking forward to seeing Mishah Designs expand, with more stockists in the rest of country. All the best.